Audio Composition with Rationale

Hello!

Welcome back to another exciting blog post where I walk you through the process of how I composed my audio project for MotorMVB, an initiative that helps grow the game of men's volleyball and provide possibilities for younger athletes.

I should warn you that my brain works like a computer that has 100 different tabs open as I bounce around from one to the another, so bare with me and I hope the end result of the audio project satisfies you like it did me!

Alrighty, here.. we.. GO!

The first step was to go through the footage that I've compiled at numerous different volleyball matches, both here on campus as well as off campus locations. THEN it hit me! I got to travel to Nashville, Tennesse right after school started. I, as well as two other students, attended a tournament that was meant to bring various collegiate teams together to a town that doesn't really have a well-known volleyball program. Being the good journalism student that I am, I naturally recorded some interviews I had with parents who attended the tournament.

This allowed me to really look into MotorMVB's "reason for existing." Obviously, the course had just started and I didn't know exactly what our client was working for. Mostly, I had to go off the simple rule that they wanted to "grow the game." This prompted many of my questions that were used in my recorded interviews.

I used these questions to promt this audio project. Lucky for me, I have already taken an audio course way back in my spring semester of freshman year here at Ball State. Shout out to Professor Terry Heifetz everyone! He's super chill and really wants his students to like audio packages AND potentially learn to like their own voice on the playback. But for me, I don't like the sound of my voice. It's just annoying, to be honest. Luckily, my buddy Ethan was willing to record his voice with my voiceover script. Thanks, Ethan!

Once I got through my interview recordings and marked which clips I was going to cut, place and splice together, I had Ethan record the voice over that allowed me to pull the whole package together.

While a lot of people naturally go to Audacity to mix their channels together and what have you, I actually have a subscription with Adobe that I pay for every month. I gave Audacity a try, but something happened and that file went ka-boom. Sad face.

BUT thanks to Adobe, I was able to download Audition. Adobe products to the rescue, I guess!  It allowed me to keep multiple tabs open and cut and paste from one to the next. After re-editing one more time. I was finally happy with the way it sounded, but of course it's not quite five minutes.

I just two and a half minutes, I was able to have a jam-packed interview/voiceover project with information that was fun and engaging to listen to.

I hope you find it informative and I hope that you understand MotorMVB a little better!




************

RATIONALE

  1. Who, specifically, is the intended audience for this piece of media?  What audience(s) are invoked in the piece?
    1. The audience that I was reaching for was the people who don't know what exactly MotorMVB is or what they do. I want them to understand the idea that men's volleyball is just as important as say football. While it is true that more women do play the sport, it is also known that it is one of the faster-growing sports in the world. Overseas, men's volleyball is one the top three sports that are played, whereas in the United States, football is the champ. 
    2. This is a piece that could run on an internet show or even run for a news piece. If it were to be a news piece, it would be a great segway into maybe a personal interview with the man behind the "grow the game" moto. 
  2. What is the specific genre of your audio composition?  Why did you choose this genre?  What affordances and constraints did you encounter as you tried to produce this particular kind of audio media?
    1. I wanted this piece to feel more like and advertisement you would hear either before a podcast or even while listening to National Public Radio (NPR). I think, because of my journalism brain, that I turned it more into a news package piece than I originally intended. 
  3. Finally, where and how would you circulate this particular media?  How might you use audio persuasion in your professional or personal future?
    1. I think that I could have recorded on a device that was able to block out background noise and allow me to to mic-up my interviewee. But, obviously, I didn't know that I was going to use these as part of my project a few months later. So, I used what I had and made sure that the background levels weren't too high or distracting. To circulate this media, I would put it on the radio and NPR. I think that not all stories have to be visual to get the point across. Sometimes, the sound of a person's voice is able to make the listener feel what the interviewee is trying to get across. It's my job to set up a great sound bite from an interview. It is also my job to know ahead of time what things I am looking for for the story that I am producing. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am a... Jedi Master?

MOTOR MVB Focal Topic